The University of Louisiana at Lafayette-New Iberia Research Center
is located on a former naval base outside of New Iberia, Louisiana,
which is 30 miles south of Lafayette. The base was built in the
1950's and closed in the 1960's, when the land was donated to the
parish of Iberia to promote economic growth.
Gulf South Research Institute (GSRI) began the Life Science Division
at the site and focused primarily on rodent animal models. Some
primates were housed there as well. In 1984, GSRI discontinued its
biological research activities and UL Lafayette (then the University
of Southwestern Louisiana) redefined the nature of the facility
and created the New Iberia Research Center, operating a Primate
Research Center as a contract support facility.
At that time, the primary focus of the Center was to provide private
industry and the federal government with a reliable source of native
born, quality bred non-human primates. In 1990, University of Louisiana
at Lafayette-New Iberia Research Center expanded its mission by
providing pre-clinical safety, pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic,
and efficacy evaluations of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology products.
Over the years, much growth and improvement to the facilities has
occurred including the most recent construction of two new automated
research buildings. Much attention has also been given to the development
of suitable living quarters for the approximately 6,000 non-human
primate residents of the facility.